Diamond engagement rings and stud earrings may be the current fashion, but there's much more to this centuries-old jewelry tradition.
Before diamond stud earrings and diamond engagement rings adorned the fingers and lobes of modern women everywhere, the Romans were using them to ward off evil spirits and Indians were wearing them as talismans.
As fascinating as this ancient practice may be, it's only the tip of the iceberg. Here are six more fun facts about the sparkling jewels beloved by us all:
- The word "diamond" comes from the Greek word "adamas," which means "unconquerable and indestructible" - making diamond engagement rings the perfect symbols of everlasting love.
- About two-thirds as old as the Earth itself, most diamonds are between one and three billion years old. And the sparkly stone on your diamond engagement ring? It was likely formed somewhere between 100 and 400 miles below the Earth's surface.
- Diamond jewelry didn't appear in its modern sparkling, brilliant form until 1456 - that's when facet-cutting and polishing were introduced in Europe by Louis Berghen of Bruges.
- The ring given to Mary of Burgundy from Archduke Maximillian of Austria in 1477 is the first recorded diamond engagement ring. Today, they're a standard around the world.
- Any woman who has ever owned a pair of princess-cut diamond stud earrings knows how beautiful this royal shape can be. But what you might not have realized is that the gems adorning your lobes were actually cut to bring out the fire of the diamond rather than its luster. (Which means your Princess-cut diamond stud earrings may actually appear more brilliant than your round diamond stud earrings.)
- General Electric has been producing synthetic diamonds for industrial purposes for years. However, until Gemesis cultured diamonds began commercial production in 2002, gem-quality lab-created diamonds that were large enough to cut for diamond stud earrings or diamond engagement rings were unavailable.
A beautiful gem with a remarkable history, diamonds have piqued the imagination, inspired lovers and given countless women glimmering to make them feel just a bit more beautiful for centuries. Discover your perfect diamond jewelry today.